It has only 6 characters but has a very deep meaning. Each characters offer glory toward Shiva. In Shiva Panchakshar Stotram and Shadakshar Stotram, deep meaning of mantra explained, by knowing it we dive into sea of glory of Lord Shiva.
As per Shiva Puran, Om Namah Shivaya, Shiva Moola Mantra is at time of the creation of the universe. When universe begin, nothing is there but only Lord Shiva in divine place, and they create this Mahamantra. This mantra includes every kind of knowledge, even all Vedas and Puranas are originated from this.
Shiva Moola Mantra – Om Namah Shivaya
Lyrics in English –
Om Namah Shivaya
Hindi/ Sanskrit text –
ॐ नमः शिवाय
In English, meaning of Om Namah Shivay is:
In hindi, it’s meaning:
In the mantra, Om represent Supreme power, the symbol includes at starting to each mantra, without it any mantra consider as incomplete.
Om is known as Pranav mantra because it save one from ocean of material world. Om has deep meaning. It made from A, U, M, nada, and “bindu”. This five parts of Om represents five head of God Shiva.
Namah means giving respect. In Sanskrit, Namah is used to give invocation to God.
Shivaya means for God Shiva. Shiva means Lord Shiva and “ya” is used with Namah in Sanskrit.
Symbol used in every mantra
To give respect
In Shiv Shadakshara Stotram, meaning of character in mantra with explanation is given.
It explain that “Om” is a symbol which regularly meditated by Yogi. It gives salvation, and provide material things. “Na”, is bowed by Sages, Apsara, gods.
“Ma” is form of Mahadev, who is in deep meditation; which remove huge sins.
“Shi” is which includes Shiva, peaceful, for God of universe, who provide welfare to people.
“Va” is for Vahana (Vehicle), Vrishabha, Vedas, Vasuki as in neck, who’s left side Shakti is there.
“Ya” is last character in Mantra. For “Ya”, it is said that place where gods live, God of universe, Maheshwar is there. Lord Shiva is Spiritual master of all gods. I honour to them.
In Shiva Panchakshar Stotram, meaning of five characters is given. It show about Namah Shivaya without Om.
Panchakshar stotra says for “Na”, “Nagendraharaya Trilochanaya Bhasmangaragay..”, which shows Shiva who have Serpent in neck, three eyes, who has ash on body, who is God of all, who is eternal, who is Pure, who have four direction and sky as clothes.
As tree of banyan is in it’s seed, Om Namah Shivaya is small like a seed by numbers of characters but have a great meaning as a tree of banyan has.
If one spend all life to understand, still he know almost nothing. It is like a sea which human can never take, if we try at our full ability, still we able to get knowledge only as a water drop.
Significance and effect of Om Namah Shivaya
Om Namah Shivay is fundamental, always Shiddha, help to attain Moksha. Whole Universe would fit inside Mahamantra.
It has significance:
- Om Namah Shivaya includes all types of spiritual powers, which calm the mind of divine person, and give whatever he wants.
- Mantra purify heart of devotee.
- Om Namah Shivaya is beneficial to our brain, It provides new ways. Things can be easily understandable.
- Who have mantra always stay in heart, he not need to read anything. He not need to do anything because Knowledge of Vedas will comes in mind. Karma has no purpose for him.
- It connect us to Supreme God Shiva.
- Mantra is recommended by Sage and scriptures.
- Om Namah Shivaya is the voice form of Lord Shiva. They stay in this mantra, whenever devotee chant, they come there.
- Om Namah Shivaya give protection. Devotees like Nandi, Chandra, Markendaya saved from death by Shiva’s blessing.
- Chanting Moola Mantra of Shiva will solve the diseases which is hard to solve even by medical science.
- It remove fear, anxiety and other negative thoughts.
- Our mind thinks about God and their glory.
- One’s karma improved. We stay away from bad karma.
- Our mind automatically attract towards divinity and devotion.
- Mantra helps to success in our reason to come here in this world. In material world, everything is temporary, only truth is God. By chanting name of Lord Shiva, we can fulfill purpose of us.
Once Goddess Parvati ask Mahadev that how can one become free from birth and death cycle in Kaliyuga? When unrighteous spread everywhere, ancient Guru-Shishya system reach to death, how can person connect with God?
God Shiva reply that the only way to get rid of effect of Kaliyuga is Panchakshari Vidya. After Lord Shiva describe mantra Om Namah Shivaya and says that how it can save one from material world. They explain it’s significance and some rules. Mahadev says about nyAsA and deep meaning.
Some qualities of Mantra
- Remover of sins
- Confidence giving
- Full of positivity
- Happiness giving
- Way to connect with Shiva
- Saver from death
How to chant Om Namah Shivay
In Shiva Purana’s vayaviya samhita, there is detailed procedure to chant mantra. I will give here some information.
First, it is not necessary to have a spiritual master (Guru), but if master is there and they give you mantra, it is more effective.
In Shiva Purana, three types one can get mantra and which is better is explained:
1. Mantra one get himself, without any Guru, is called Saadhya mantra.
2. Mantra take from Guru who doesn’t achieved siddhi is called Siddha mantra.
3. Mantra taken from Guru who has achieved Siddhis is called Susadhya mantra, which give effect immediately.
It is recommended to take mantra from Siddh Guru (Spiritual master who achieved spiritual power of mantra).
To take it from Guru, Diksha procedure should be followed.
Chant it with qualities like kindness, friendliness, devotion. One who recite mantra with such qualities, he get nearness to Mahadev, he will immersed in them.
For correct pronouncing listen it from video. While you chant, speak Om for long time as Aum….
Remember God Shiva. Recite it with remembering meaning.
Continuous chant it, 108 times or 1008 times or without counting for 10-20 minutes.
In beginning, chant 11 times daily. After Increase the number from 11 times to 51 times, to 108 times and reach 1008 times.
For counting, use Rudraksha mala or any malas or by finger.
You can also chant without counting, as many times as possible. But counting by Rudraksha is better because it orginated from Lord Shiva’s tear.
Early morning, a time of Brahmamuhurt is best for reciting. Wake up around 4:30 AM, take bath and go to Temple or place of worship.
Recite it with concentration and remember only God Shiva.
Based on how one Chant, Japa has four types:
1. Mantra chanting with loud voice, wrong-right pronunciation is called Vaachik Jaap.
2. Chanting in which only tongue move, voice of slow that even nearest person can’t listen is called Upansu Japa.
3. Chanting of mantra in mind, with each character imagined word by word, and think meaning of it, is called Maanas Japa.
4. Mantra chanted with Pranayama and meditation is called Sagarbha Jaap.
As per Shiva Purana’s Vayaviya samhita, Upanshu Jaap is better than Vaachik Jaap, Maanas Jaap is better than Upanshu Japa but Sagarbha Jaap is best among this all.
Take long breath, synchronized with chant.
If it is hard to concentrate then chant with half open eyes, not full close nor open eyes but half close eyes, it will not let come any thoughts in mind, which helps to better chant.
How many times should I chant?
Om Namah Shivaya is mantra for which there is no restrictions on specific times of counting. We can chant it once, 5 times, 11 times, as we like. But it has significance of chanting 108 times by mala Rudraksha.
Also Shiva Purana explain that If one chant mantra 10 thousands times daily or thousands times in morning and evening, he get position in Shivloka. And If one chant it 1008 times for thousand day and feed to Brahmin each day, whatever he wish he has, will completed.
Which day mantra should recited?
Any day for reciting is good, but some days in which chanting mantra has more effect.
Chant 108 times or 1008 times on this days. Go to Shiva Temple and worship Mahadev while chanting mantra.
Each times of giving Bilvapatra, chant the Shiva Moola mantra.
Om Namah Shivaya is very powerful mantra which can deeply affect us. Chant in morning and night whenever you get time. It is easiest way to improve our life fast.
Nothing can comparable with Mahamantra Om Namah Shivay. Take decision now, at here, and start chanting now. Try to chant as many as time possible.